July 7, 2016

All Things Fairy

Last month I was pretty excited to receive some gorgeous spandex fabric samples in the mail to sew up and photograph from Kristie Boo! designs.












As many of you readers know, Kristie designs and sells spandex and the Boo! Designs shop and she teamed up with the talented Steph from Owl and I to design a fairy panel, and coordinates to match it. As a member of the Boo! Designs inspiration team, my job is to sew the fabric I get sent up into pretty things and then photograph them so that people can visualise how the fabric can be used. It is quite possibly my favourite job in the handmade world, and the arrival of new spandex is greeted with great excitement, both from myself and Zoe.


I used the Tankini from the Boo! Designs Swimmers pattern and mashed with with the skirt portion of the Boo! Designs Skater dress to create this little dress. I also added some sparkly fabric elastic through the waist to match the binding on the tankini, and also the fairy wings she is wearing.


The wings are the Wife Made Butterfly Wings. This is my third time making them, and I love this pattern,  but my first time in spandex and they're not quite as neat as I would like. I used new batting and I think it was a bit thick because I had so much trouble getting them under the machine foot and had to keep bending them and pulling them. Still Zoe does not notice imperfections and was delighted with them. I want to make her another pair with thinner batting.




I naturally ordered more fairy panels as soon as I was able to, and some other coordinates, plus more of this purple galaxy because it may be my favourite coordinate of all (big call because Im not a huge purple girl). I can't wait to sew Zoe up a few more fairy things.





If you've never sewn with spandex before, I highly recommend the Boo! Designs patterns - the sizing is very accurate, the instructions are amazing, and they are full of fantastic tips to teach you sew confidently with spandex.





Thanks for reading along,

Marnie

No comments :

Post a Comment